Partner Visa Requirements


Partner marriage visas will allow you to live in Australia if you are a foreigner who is married or in a de-facto relationship with an Australian citizen. You do not automatically qualify for the visa if you meet the above eligibility criteria. The Department of Home Affairs conducts further checks to ensure that you do not pose a risk to Australian citizens. Below are some requirements that applicants should meet. 

Health And Good Conduct

The applicant undergoes medical checks to ensure they do not have an infectious disease at the time of application. If you have a long-term condition, your application could be rejected if the disease will limit the access of Australian citizens to health care. A police certificate is required to prove that you do not have a criminal past in your home country. The department also conducts further background checks to ascertain you do not have affiliations with terrorist or criminal organisations.

Sponsor Requirements

Your spouse acts as your sponsor. Typically, they should meet the following requirements: 

  • They should be citizens or permanent residents who are 18 years old or older.
  • They must be willing to live with you and support you financially, emotionally, and socially to ensure smooth integration into the Australian community.
  • They should not have sponsored another spouse on a partner visa within the last five years. Besides, they cannot sponsor more than two people in their lifetime.
  • Your partner should not have a significant criminal record. These are criminal offences such as drug trafficking, murder, gun possession, or violence.
  • Your sponsor should not owe government debt. If they do, they should have made arrangements on how to clear the debt. 


If the applicant has a child from a previous union, the department will assess the child's best interests when reviewing the application. For example, how will the child maintain social ties that they had previously developed in their home country? Will the move interrupt the child's studies? How easy will it be for the child to settle in Australia? These are critical concerns that could determine your visa approval. More often than not, your case officer will make follow-ups to ensure that you have proper arrangements to ensure the child's comfort in the country. 

The visa application process can be tedious. For this reason, you should consider the services of an experienced immigration attorney. The professional will assess whether you meet the eligibility criteria, organise your application documents, and communicate with your case officer. 


17 August 2021

Getting acoustical consulting advice

Our new office looks fantastic, but it's so loud. It's really hard to control the noise, as our team spends a lot of time on the phone. We have gotten some advice from an acoustical consultant who has give us some really valuable tips on how to control the noise with some simple changes to how we organise the staff work stations. We have also gotten some cool new domes for the ceiling panels that help to absorb and redistribute the noise in a better way. This blog has tips on picking an acoustical consultant for people with loud work spaces.